In simple terms, data migration is the process of transferring data between data storage systems, data formats or computer systems.
However, while it sounds simple, data migration can be technically challenging because of a myriad of factors which include:
- undocumented legacy formats and sources,
- source data corruption,
- missed data,
- loss of data or metadata during the transfer process, and
- downtime for the source(s) and destination systems.
A common issue associated with data migration projects is underestimating the amount of data that needs to be migrated, the number of legacy systems holding the data and how much of that data is undocumented. Our Engineers will work with you to understand:
- how and where the information is stored,
- the format(s),
- the metadata which will need migrating (security, audit logs and history, versions and/or revisions), and
- any mapping between the source and destination systems.
Information Proficiency and Sigma Data Solutions follows best practice to protect data during a migration.
When planning your data migration project our Engineers will help you understand and factor into the process:
- the length of time the migration will take, and
- the amount of downtime required to complete the data migration process.
Successful data migration requires an uncommon spread of Information Technology skills encompassing Project Management, Quality Assurance, Software Development, Systems Administration, Database Administration and Database Development. Information Proficiency and Sigma Data Solutions have these skills, as evidenced by previous successful completion of a range of both large and small scale data migration projects. Please contact us for reference sites.
We would love to help you with your data migration project as you move towards a new and better working environment. To discuss your data migration project please telephone (08) 6103 8428 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.